As Sprint 5 comes to a close, I believe we are making great progress. Our team’s primary goal is to have a completely functional data capturing service for offline purposes. With the achievements made during this sprint, it seems very realistic that we will have a working module by the end of this semester.
Our main objectives for Sprint 5 were the following:
1. Decide what would be the most useful data to capture. 2. Capture raw data to be stored into PouchDB. 3. Construct ideas presenting captured data in a meaningful way. 4. Improve cross-team communication.
Deciding what would be the most useful data to capture:
We all agreed that we should begin to focus on storing detailed patient data. Internet connectivity is often unreliable where the AMPATH app is intended on being used. We want to allow medical providers to have offline access to patient data when a given patient is expected to be seen.
Capturing raw data to be stored into PouchDB:
I believe we have made substantial progress concerning this task. We were able to use OpenMRS services (located in the
./src/app/openmrs-api folder) to help us achieve our intended goals.
Originally, we were able to capture data of some 200 patients having the word “test” in their names. This was a great starting point, but we knew we needed to improve upon our results. First, the data was being captured and stored into one large file. This contrasted with our intended capability of having each patient object being stored in its own file. Second, the data being captured was only basic patient information, such as name and address. We wanted to also include more detailed criteria, such as upcoming appointments and other patient encounters.
Initially we were using the
Our next step was to try to figure out a way to store patients other than those with “test” in their name. Further, we wanted to capture more meaningful information about the patient (appointments, encounters, etc).
Ultimately, we were able to manipulate an existing component, located in
./src/app/patient-dashboard/common/patient-encounters/patient-encounters.component.ts, to store a patient’s detailed data in PouchDB when it is searched for.
Presenting the captured data in a meaningful way:
This is a topic discussed in great detail during our last working class concerning Sprint 5. Ultimately we need to decide how we are going to present this to the user. We anticipate the user will be a provider, such as a doctor looking for information about patients to be seen. We are in the process of constructing a mock diagram for a GUI to view and manipulate the captured data.
Improving cross-team communication:
I feel we have made some progress in this area. We seem to have a general idea what everyone is working on. But at the same time, there is definitely room for improvement regarding our communication with other teams. We anticipate a lot of cross-team collaboration in the upcoming sprint. Since all teams are finishing up their work, we need to make sure all implementations are compatible with each other. For this reason, I am confident our cross-team communication will continue to improve during our next sprint.
I believe this was an effective sprint. We’ve all done a good job letting each other know what we’re currently working on. I had a lot to do with implementing the offline capturing abilities, but this was only possible due to the support and input from all of my teammates. Regarding participation during this sprint, I think we’ve all done our fair share.